Thursday, June 23, 2011

Santa Barbara Sun

Weeeeeeeee, USA I have missed you!
Me in the corner of my
sweet sky couch 

Thankfully no 'ash issues' delayed my flight (good on ya Air NZ!) and I had a sweet ride up here - shared a sky couch with a guy going to summer camp so he got personal filling out US documentation assistance...lucky sod ;p

Have a few days spare before my trek begins so I have spent them in the beautiful Santa Barbara - a coastal area about 2 hours from LAX - with some awesome friends of mine.  I spent the first day sightseeing and drove to the tops of the Santa Barbara hills for a wicked view of the ocean, followed by some reading in the sun (what a lady of leisure :p) and then Mexican for dinner...yum!  A must try for kiwis in the USA, super tasty (and different!).

The view before landing at LAX
On Tuesday a group of us went hiking in a local nature preserve - Arroyo hondo (check it out:  http://www.sblandtrust.org/arroyohondo.html ).  Future CCUSA counselors - I would really encourage you to do stuff like this during your post camp travels as it offers a fantastic opportunity for seeing things outside of the normal 'tourist spots'...and working off your Taco Bells :p Just don't go with people like my friends who make fun of the kiwi that comes from a land of no snakes, mountain lions or bears...which, though there was a sign up warning about them, we didn't run into (oh gee what a shame!).  Being the domestic goddess that I am ( ;p ) I had a cooking lesson for making Mexican food (enchiladas) with my American mom post hike, and I'll have you know dinner wasn't half bad - even if I do say so myself :p

Looking out over Santa Barbara from the hills
Keeping up with the Mexican theme (hey, you only live once!) I had a breakfast burrito (aka fry-up in a tortilla) on the pier the next day which offers an awesome view of the harbour.  Had a shop down State Street (Santa Barbara's main street) afterwards - and with no Glassons or Hallenstines in sight lets just say the suitcase has a few more kilos added to it already!  And as if shopping wasn't hard enough work as it is ( haha ;p) the sun really turned up the heat that avo!

Headed to LA today to spend the night in the Hacienda Hotel (pre-trek accommodation) and then tomorrow morning my trek begins...exciteeee! :D

Holla at you ina bit!
Liz

Swinging in Arroyo Hondon Preserve...weeee :D

P.S.  I forgot the bread here has sugar in it...ew!  WHY!?  Just why!

No comments:

Post a Comment